Monday 24 December 2012

The most wonderful time of the year

Well, at last, we are finally here-Christmas proper. There are only a few minutes of Christmas Eve left. It's a magical time of giddy anticipation, and a strange kind of peace. What is in the house is all we need, stockings are filled, there is a snack ready for Father Christmas and his reindeer, and so, I can do no more.

I haven't felt very festive this year at all. Not really sure why. Something has gone missing from my idea of what christmas is and feels like. In a bid to jumpstart my sugarplum visions tonight, here is a short list of my failsafe festive favourites guaranteed to make me smile. Merry Christmas!

The Nutcracker
Christmas telly isn't complete without a showing of this ballet. The music is wonderful. I love watching a really traditional sugary production of this. But my absolute vourite rendition is Matthew Bourne's.

Stollen
Thick slice, with butter. Cup of tea too if you're making one.

Wreaths on the front door
They look so beautiful and welcoming. They make a house look happy and loved.This year ours has pine cones, moss, greenery and some wonderful multicoloured berries in it.

Tree Ornaments
I love my collection of tree baubles. In fact, I am probably a bit precious about them. I have spent years collecting them, picking a couple of special new ones each christmas. Christmas almost begins for me the moment I find the first new ornament for that year. When the tree goes up, getting the baubles out of the decorations box is my favourite part. It is like seeing a long lost friend again. I smile myself silly at catching up with them again. I love them all, but my favourite favourite is a painted wooden ornament of a snow maiden that I got in Prague.

Troika
To me, this is what christmas sounds like. It is a part from a piece called Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev. Joyous!

Stockings
A well filled, carefully thought out stocking is a true delight. Every little treat in there is a hug and kiss in present form. They say 'these goodies are especially for you because I want to see you smile'. I think a stocking is as important, if not more, than a big present.

White Christmas
I love this movie. I bought it on dvd to ensure I get to see it every year. It's a big ol' cheesy schmaltz-fest with some gorgeous costumes and lots of great tunes. My best bits are  the Danny Kaye number "The best things happen when you're dancing" ( swooningly romantic *sigh* ), the colour of Rosemary Clooney's hair, and that Vera-Ellen has the figure of a wasp!

Folky Christmas Traditions
I wish I was German, or Italian or Scandinavian. These countries/cultures have some wonderful folk traditions throughout the holiday season. My fasvourite, food aside, is the Krampus. Companion to Saint Nicholas, the Krampus is a christmas 'devil' who does St. Nick's dirty work and  punishes the naughty children. www.krampus.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment